Saturday, August 8, 2009

A poem to remember who we are

A Poem written by Ghadeh Al-Sama’n
Syrian poet


Translated by:
Rouhi Shafii


If you come to my house
bring me a black pencil.
I want to charcoal my face
so not to be caged for the crime
of my beauty.
And a cross to rest on my heart
to stop it desiring.
Give me an eraser
to wipe out my lips.
I do not want being charcoaled
for having red lips.
Bring me a spade
so I uproot all my womanly desires
and rake my body
without which
I will easily go to paradise
so it is said.
Give me a razorblade
to shave my head
so my head breathes fresh air
and I think for a while
without a scarf.
Bring me thread and needle
to sow my tongue
to my mouth.
This way,
my cries are more noiseless!
Don’t you forget the scissors!
I want to censor my thoughts
on daily basis.
I also need washing powder
to wash my brain
and spread it on a rope
so the wind blows my aspirations
to the far distances.
You know, one has to be rational.
Bring me a silencer
if you can.
I want to silence my sobs
when they call me a prostitute
for being in love and choosing.
I need a copy of my identity
to remember who I am,
as the pious brothers or sisters
are guiding me with insult and contempt.
For the love of God
If you see somewhere
they sell your rights
buy me some.
I want to mix them with my food
and eat my rights before others.
And finally, if you are left with any money
buy me a placard
in the shape of a necklace
I want to write on it in bold
I am a human being
I am still a human being.
I am a human being every day!

No comments:

Post a Comment